All I Really Need To Know I Learned by Watching Canyon Theatre

Theatre department premieres Fall shows.

Emma Grubbs (Donated)

“All I Really Know I Learned In Kindergarten” cast members read scripts on the first day of rehearsal.

Haley Regan, Editor, Staff Writer

Canyon Theatre premiered the first shows of the 2020-2021 season last week. All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten, and All I Really Need to Know I Learned by Being in A Bad Play opened Thursday, Oct 29 to a sold out crowd. 

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten was an anthology show, with many independent scenes. They all tie together with the idea that the integral life lessons that people share all originate in kindergarten. Many thought the show was inspiring. 

“I really liked the Kindergarten show. It was thought provoking and inspiring, especially in times like today. The different lessons show [the audience] how we are all human, how we can relate to each other,” audience member Keaton Hughes said. 

After a brief intermission, All I Really Need to Know I Learned by Being in A Bad Play was performed. It is a parody of All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten, a comedy, showcasing the lessons that can be learned from being in a less than good play.

“It’s about the struggles an actor goes through, but blown out of proportion. You have the really dumb actor, the really vain actor, etc. It was super fun to be in,” senior Lillian Goodbread said.

Things were different of course, due to Covid-19, but the department did not let it stop them. Actors donned face shields, the crew wore masks, and very few interactions occurred where cast members touched each other. Sets were limited, as well as props, and everything had to be disinfected each day of rehearsal.

“Everything is different. Normally we would do much bigger scale productions, like with big sets. There were shows we were planning on doing this year with body puppets and crazy stuff that we were very excited for,” director Carter Ridge said. “Now with Covid-19 guidelines, there’s just not a safe way to do those shows. So we just had to completely scrap that and start from scratch. It’s been a process, but a fun one at that.” 

Rehearsals began mid-September, leaving a quick turn-around for the show. The companies of the two shows were separated, each getting two days of rehearsal a week. 

“Rehearsals were eventful. There wasn’t much time, however we still managed to put on a great show with a great cast and crew that I was happy with,” sophomore Camille Lind said. 

With the hurdles in front of them, the cast and crew didn’t let it stop them. Many bonded over the new atmosphere of doing a show in the midst of a pandemic.

“We’re like a family. We learned so much about each other and from each other. It was a great learning experience,” Goodbread said.

Both nights sold out. Overall, it was a success.

“[The show was] very different from what I’ve done before, because of the guidelines. It was so fun. We’ve had so many new kids, it’s been interesting to see them work with our veteran students. It’s cool to see how [the students] can be creative despite guidelines,” Ridge said. 

The theatre department plans to keep performing. Their next show, Thursday Night Live, performs Thursday, Oct 12, at 7:00 PM.  Admission is 1 can of food, to be donated to the New Braunfels Food Bank.